Prev: [URL] NSLphiles get in a spin Next: Re: The many Marks of the GZG Mailing List.

Re: Tactics Question

From: John Fox <jfox@v...>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 02:54:27 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Tactics Question

John and the net:
  The game we are playing is a modified rules.	The ships move slowest
first
then fire fastest first.  This was our attempt to make sure the escorts
got to
fire before being turned into space dust.  They still get turned into
space dust
but usually et at least one shot before going poof.
  Background:  Campaign game where each player has several systems which
he
develops and exploits for resources to build ships.  (some day I will
publish
the rules,,later).  The movement is cinematic (as in the FT and MT
books).  His
basic (and most peoples) tactic is to form line abrest and charge into
the
other's line taking out cruisers and heavies as his first targets.
After
getting through he wheels around to behind.  Up to now I have been able
to beat
him off by using large numbers of ships and pouring on the firepower.
  There are too ways I can go with this.
  1) Continue to build ships as I have been.  This gets me more ships
and more
weapons on target.
  2) Start building thrust 8 ships to match him.

  I am thinking that the first option is the best.  I presently am
building alot
more cruisers and battleships (not superdreadnoughts) as I think the
cruisers
give me a very good bang for the bug. (cruiser with 4 As and one screen)

(Battleship with 5 A and two screens). He is using a modified Kra'Vak
race.

  John

> John Fox wrote:
> >
> > Greetings:
> >   I am in a campaign game using Full Thrust (and More Thrust but not
fleet
book)
> > and have come up on a certain situation.  One of the other players
has
decided
> > to build all his ships (including the big ones) at thrust 8 (eight).
> >   What is a good response to this condition?
> >   Should I also start to build my ships at thrust - 8?
> >	    I do not like this idea due to the cost.
> >   Should I continue to build stuff as always (esscots thrust 8,
cruiser
thrust 5