Prev: Re: Leading with Escorts (was Directional screens (armor dropped Next: [FT] Another fighter base?

Re: [FT] Hardened Systems

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@p...>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 11:06:40 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems

Sean Bayan Schoonmaker wrote:
...Snip...JTL
> I agree, and because these system cause other systems to be more
effective,
> the 50% seems more right to me (gut instinct - untested).
>
> Schoon

Schoon,
     (It must be my day to disagree, sorry.)

     A ship that uses armored systems does not "increase the
effectiveness" of other systems.   The armored ship sacrafices
offensive power to increase the survivability of the remaining
offensive systems and movement ability to withdraw from a situation
that has become untenable.   An armored ship is a design concept more
suited to a campaign enviroment than a 'one shot' game.

     In any case,  I feel the 50% increase in mass for armoring
the system is far to high as the system is not a weapon and is not
capable of inflicting damage on the enemy.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: Leading with Escorts (was Directional screens (armor dropped Next: [FT] Another fighter base?