Prev: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems Next: Re: [FT] Re: Curing the fighter blues and Warpwar(Metagaming)

Re: Leading with Escorts (was Directional screens (armor dropped

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 20:38:38 -0800
Subject: Re: Leading with Escorts (was Directional screens (armor dropped

>Have to agree with Dean. We've seen and concurred that, given the
>nature of FT, it makes little sense to build escorts as a war machine
>(they may have other reasons to exist such as scouting, showing the
>flag in peacetime etc) and that they should be left behind when
>serious battle is joined. They pop usually long before they are in
>range (under the theory I can wham a few rounds at range into a
>cruiser or DN to minimal effect and no reduction of enemy fire or I
>can totally eliminate two or three corvettes thus removing them
>completely and forever from the firing equation).  Leave your escorts
>and corvettes at home. Unless you have things like sensor rules and
>handing on targets because then having a screen of corvettes or
>escorts out to gain info and acquire targets for the big hammer (your
>caps and cruisers) makes a lot of sense - which may well how things
>really end up operating. As it stands, heavier ships are a better
>buy.

I disagree; escorts are still effective at several tasks, such as
escorting
(ADFC/PDS) and exploiting damaged ships or opennings after the first
pass.
They have the thrust to keep out of the firing arcs of heavier weapons
after the big-slow-bruisers start turning like cows.

Schoon

Prev: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems Next: Re: [FT] Re: Curing the fighter blues and Warpwar(Metagaming)