Prev: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems Next: Re: OT was Re: [DSII] Reactive armour

Re: [FT] Shields and Screens

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:49:54 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Shields and Screens

[Snippity Snap]

>Your shield generators sounds good.  I just might use them on my own
>ships...when I get the fleet book!  (my local hobby store is trying to
order
>it, but the two distributors they deal with order from Geohex when they
feel
>like it...)

Thanks.  And the Fleet Book is invaluable.  If it had stats for EFSB
style
Beam Generators it would be perfect.

>Some questions to ponder:
>How big are they?  How about 2 for strength 1, 4 spaces for strength 2,
then
>8, 12,16, 20 for 3, 4, 5, and 6 respectivly.
>How much do they cost?
> What happens if someone mounted two?
> Would the second only come up after the first went down?
> Or could they operate togather, adding their strengths?
> Does an operating shield attempt to stop everything, or only "energy"
>weapons? (a la starwars)?

I haven't figured out the cost/mass yet--I was writing at work, and had
no
access to the rules so that I could do "comparison designing" if that
makes
any sense.  I'll try and work upon that this evening.

Only one Shield Generator can funstion at a time.  A second one,
installed
as a backup system, would certainly be possible, though.  I would not
want
to have "stacked" shields--have three class 4 shields operating at once
would be somewhat absurd, and ripe for abuse.

And yes, shields will stop EVERYthing directed at them, both energy and
kinetic kill weapons.  I want them to be more advanced and effective
than
screens.

John X Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com
  --Spider Robinson, The Callahan Touch.

Prev: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems Next: Re: OT was Re: [DSII] Reactive armour