Prev: Re: Sensors: Signiture formula Next: Re: Hardened Systems

RE: Hardened Systems

From: "Dean Gundberg" <dean.gundberg@n...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:28:23 -0600
Subject: RE: Hardened Systems

Noam wrote:
> Since I'm most familiar with the term Hardening with respect to
> radiation and EMP's,

I was originally going to call this thread "Armoured Systems" but
changed my
mind so replace Hardened if you want.

> I have a weapon to balance this new protection
> system: The EMP cannon.

Hey, the Ion Cannon rules I use (and have posted to the list ;) are very
similar to this, with a few variations.  Also alot depends on the order
you
roll for thresholds (a lot of feedback came back on this point), so my
version has a set list of systems and set order.

> Mass 3, Cost 9 for 1 arc Mass 1, Cost 3 for each additional 2 arcs
> Works like a modified EMP missile.
> 1) Roll beam dice - 1 at range 9-18" 2 at range 0-9" Reroll on 6
> 2) Total from beam dice is total number of systems that _may_ go down.
> 3) Roll thresholds on target ship, stopping when all systems have been
> checked _or_ a number of systems equalling the total from step 2 have
> failed. (Player of target ship choses order of threshold rolls).
>	-All threshold rolls from EMP Cannon are fail on 6.
>	-Hardened systems protect from EMP attack without destroying the
> hardening.
>
> Speedier play version - EMP Cannon hits once on a 5 twice on a 6,
target
> player choses non-hardened systems to be damaged.

My version of Ion Cannons were equal in mass to Class 2 Batteries,
10" range bands instead of 9" (I used 15" at GenCon but have now reduced
them), Instead of # of hits indicating the number of systems that can be
destroyed (which was in my first version of the Ion Cannon), I use the #
of
hits equals the number of threshold rolls taken on a specific list of
systems in a specific order.  Also the threshold roll needed is equal to
the
current damage line's threshold roll.

When hits occur, the following systems roll thresholds in this order (#
of
threshold rolls equals number of hits)
  Screens
  Specical Electronics (Sensors, ECM, Cloak, etc)
  Fire Controls
  FTL Drives
  Thrust Engines
  (back to top of list).

Dean

Prev: Re: Sensors: Signiture formula Next: Re: Hardened Systems