Prev: Directional armor & shields Next: Re: Damage Program for many Batteries

Re: [FT] Hardened Systems: Bah, Humbug. Directional armor: Cool

From: "Richard Slattery" <richard@m...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 21:15:30 -0000
Subject: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems: Bah, Humbug. Directional armor: Cool

On 13 Jan 99, at 12:25, Izenberg, Noam wrote:

> 2 Quatloos:
>
> Hardened systems are IMHO below the resolution of FT.
>
> Take the current proposal: +50% mass and cost, round up.
>
> Any 1 mass system is not worth hardening:
> Example:
>
> Firecon - Mass: 1, Cost: 3
> Hardened Firecon: Mass: 2, Cost 5
>
> I would pay the extra point and have a whole additional firecon.

Fine, so do that :) However, two firecons could both fail the first
threshold check, leaving you with none, while a single hardened
one /can't/ fail the first check. Perhaps making it worth considering.

> Any Mass 3-4 system is better served by buying other systems or armor.
> My logic here is that 2 armor protects _all_ systems from one more
good
> beam hit.
> Another example:
> Rather than pay 2 mass and 6 points  for a hardened Class 3 beam, I'd
> rather just buy a whole Class 2 beam, or 2 points of armor. for the
same
> or less cost.

Except, again, you can't lose this hardened beam at all on the first
threshold check. Perhaps worth it.

> A mass 5+ system is better served by buying armor or screens. Absorb 3
> points of damage or reduce incoming beams by
> ~16%, your choice.
>
> 2 more Quatloos:
>
> I like directional armor. I was thinking of a system like this:
> 3 Directional Armor  cost 1 Mass and 3 points.
> Directional armor covers 1 arc of a ship, and can be placed in any
> number in any arc.
>
> Noam
>

> Noam R. Izenberg		  noam.izenberg@jhuapl.edu

Calamities are of two kinds: misfortunes to ourselves, and good fortune
to others.
     Ambrose Bierce

Prev: Directional armor & shields Next: Re: Damage Program for many Batteries