Prev: RE: [FT] Fleet Book Rules Q Next: Re: Fleet Book Rules Q

Re: Fleet Book Rules Q

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 09:52:49 +0000
Subject: Re: Fleet Book Rules Q

>Here's something that came up in tonight's FFA game that needs an
"official
>ruling" and a FAQ entry.
>
>Heavy Fighters vs. Class-1-Beams-as-PDS
>---------------------------------------
>The behavior of Class 1 beams used as PDS firing at Heavy Fighters
("4's
>have no effects") is undefined.  Since Class 1 beams vs fighters
normally
>only hit on a 5&6 anyway - doing 1 kill on success - "ignoring 4's" is
>NOP as written.
>
>We SWAG'd a rule that the Class 1 "PDS" against Heavy Fighters only hit
on
>a roll of 6 - which properly 'degrades' the effectiveness in a manner
>similar to those suffered by the regular PDS, but I would like an
official
>ruling on this :).
>
>TIA!

Well, before making an [OFFICIAL] ruling I'd like other list members'
opinions on this - there are two ways to argue it:

1) take Mark's suggestion above, assuming that Heavy Fighters' armour
gives
them the same kind of protection as when fired at by PDS, or

2) leave the rule as written - Heavy fighters take damage from class-1
beams just as normal fighters, and gain no extra benefit. The argument
for
this is that the beam, pulse, (whatever) fired by a class-1 beam is MUCH
more powerful than that fired by a PDS battery, and if it hits at all it
will cut through any armour that a fighter can carry with equal ease -
the
reduced hit chance represents the relative difficulty of tracking a
fighter
with an antiship mount compared to a dedicated PDS, but if it hits it
will
kill.

Opinions?

Jon (GZG)