Prev: Snow! Next: Re: Snow!

Re: Snow!

From: Samuel Reynolds <reynol@p...>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 11:16:58 -0700
Subject: Re: Snow!

>I've been inspired by some reading on the Eastern Front, the ice storm
>of the past few days, and a Command Decision scenario from their
>magazine.  So I went out and bought a 10' long hunk of white cloth and
>have whipped up the following scenario:
>
>MSR 4:
>
>Imperial Forces have penetrated deep into enemy territory, and the
>sucess of the spearhead units depends on supplies being brought forward
>in a timely manner.  Due to weather conditions, a shortage of
snowplows,
>and agressive action by small enemy units attempting to sever the
supply
>lines, the decision has been made to focus effort on a few main supply
>routes, guarding and plowing them while ignoring minor roads.
>
>Terrain: Hills and light forests, with a highway running down the
middle
>of the table, long-ways.
>
>Defenders: Beta/2nd, 5th Prokusatores Turma, IV (Thematic) Exerciti. (9
>Size 3 tanks, 13 Size 2 CFVs, 13 Line Rifle stands, 2 Mortars)
Deployed
>along the highway in platoons or sections (2xCFV).  Mission: At end of
>game, have no enemy units in line of sight to road, loose no trucks
from
>any of the convoys.
>
>Attackers: Parachute infantry company inserted anywhere on the board
>(exact OB left to my opponent), and an armored company (again, exact OB
>left to opponent) moving in from anywhere on the other side of the
board
>(splitting it long-ways, so that they have to start out somewhat
>seperated). Mission: Have at least one platoon in position to execute
>ambushes of supply convoys at end of game.
>
>Initial Conditions: Light Wind (direction by d12), Moderate Snow, Light
>Snow Cover
>
>Random events (d20, each turn)
>
>	1: Wind shifts 1 clockwise
>	2: Wind shifts 1 counter-clockwise
>	3: Wind gains a level
>	4: Wind decreases a level
>	5: Snow increases a level
>	6: Snow decreases a level
>	7-8: Redfor Airstrike
>	9: Bluefor Airstrike
>	10: Bluefor Artillery Battery
>	11-12: Redfor Artillery Battery
>	13: Random Artillery strike (4 guns, 50% MAK/HEF, loose sheaf)
>	14: Random Airstrike (Random direction, MAK on nearest armored
>vehicles)
>	15: Snow cover increases to deep
>	16-20: Bluefor Convoy
>
>Wind:
>	Light: No Effect
>	Moderate: Halves visibility if snowing
>	Heavy: Quarters visibility if snowing, automatically goes to
Moderate
>after 2	turns
>
>Snow:
>	Light:	1/2 Visibility,
>	Medium: 1/4 Visibility,
>	Heavy:	1/8 Visibility,
>
>Airstrike
>	Size Three, Stealth 2, Superior ECM, 1xHEF DFO, 1xMAK DFO,
1xMDC/2
>Forward	Mounted
>
>Artillery Battery: 8 medium guns in 2x4 gun sections, CBS with 1
>section.  3xMAK, 1xHEF,	1xSmoke
>
>Snow Cover:
>	Light: Doubles all off-road movement costs except for GEV, Grav.

>Unplowed road	is normal terrian, plowed road is easy.  Ski troops
>ignore.
>	Heavy: Quaruples all off-road movement costs for vehicles except
GEV,
>Grav.			Doubles infantry/cavalry movement costs.
Unplowed roads are
>normal, plowed 		roads are easy.
>
>Convoy: 2d6 Bluefor trucks moving along highway.
>
>I want to penalize energy weapons additionally for the snow, but I
can't
>decide exactally how.
>
>John M. Atkinson

Well, if the primary targetting systems are lasers, the snow
could cause a downward shift in targetting die. Perhaps for every
two levels of (snow + wind), downgrade targetting die by one.
Of course, this would affect *all* weapons that use optical
targetting--laser sights, iron sights, etc. SODAR would be
similarly affected, but radar would not.
   You could also get significant clouds of steam around a
target after an energy-weapon hit. These might reduce weapon
effectiveness (block/absorb some energy) and/or target die
(harder to see, as above) on subsequent shots.

- Sam

Samuel Reynolds
http://www.primenet.com/~reynol
reynol@primenet.com