Prev: How do you unsubscribe? Next: [OFFICIAL] Happy Xmas from GZG!

Re: [OT] MRE

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 22:54:46 +1000
Subject: Re: [OT] MRE

John Leary wrote:

> Help please!
>     I am thinking of laying in some earthquake supplies, and would
> like to know the MRE that has the best taste.   Would those who have
> knowledge in this area make suggestions, and please keep in mind that
> a small child might have to eat from the MRE.
>
> Please respond directly to me.

I've never eaten an MRE, but have studied them for military purposes.
Some points:

1. Get the latest block (21) which has 24 different meals. Previous
versions had 12 (original), then 16.
2. They're best eaten within 6 months.
3. If you must store them for longer, do so at a constant 50 F
temperature, then the flavour's good for at least 3 years.
4. They don't spoil after they're time-expired, but the taste goes away.
5. The old "Chicken a la King" aka "Chicken a la Dead" of Desert Storm
Infamy has been completely re-formulated, and is now top of the
popularity stakes rather than bottom.

If you have access to Jane's Defence weekly they had a very good set of
articles on the MREs, their advantages and disadvantages.

Nutritionally, each MRE is 13000 KCalories, and is about 20% protein,
30% fat, 50% Carbohydrate. So 1 MRE per day is really all you need to
stave off starvation ( last time I was in hospital, I GAINED weight on a
1200 KCal diet, but this is unusual!), and 2-3 MREs per day is required
if you're doing heavy labour.

Regards, Merry Christmas.
 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo