Prev: John Atkinson and Personal Attacks Next: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure

Re: [DS] Air Superiority Rules

From: Tony Christney <acc@q...>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 12:19:09 -0800
Subject: Re: [DS] Air Superiority Rules

Ndege Diamond wrote:

<snip>

>When building an Aerospace vehicle add the following options to the
points
>value system:
>
>	Enhanced Maneuverability     +200 points     (Aerospace only)
>	Superior Maneuverability     +400 points     (Aerospace only)
>
>Note: all aerospace vehicles are assumed to have at least Basic
>Maneuverability.
>      However, aerospace vehicles with Basic Maneuverability
>	cannot be used for an air superiority mission.

I think that you may be oversimplifying this a bit. My impression
would be that any air-to-air combat would depend on at least
four factors: pilot quality, sensor quality, weapons quality as
well as vehicle maneouvrability. I do like the simplicity of what
you're suggesting, but at the very least pilot quality should
come into play. I guess it depends on how important you consider
aerospace operations to be.

Other than that, your rules seem quite reasonable and playable,
if a bit WWI/WWII-ish.

>Units with external weapons (DFO pods or SLAM packs) have their die
type
>shifted down as well.	Units may jettison their external weapons prior
>the intercept roll and use the normal die type but if they do the
external
>weapons are unusable for that turn. (or should they loose them for the
>entire game?)

The entire game. For a ground attack aircraft to jettison its external
ordinance (unless on its intended target ;)) means an effectively failed

mission.

>If the aggressor wins the roll he may attack, if he loses he is
>unsuccessful and the opposing unit may perform its turn as normal.  If
the
>intercepted unit rolls double the aggressor's roll he may attempt to
attack
>the aggressor!

This should depend on the intercepted vehicles current mission. If the
interpected vehicle is on a ground attack mission, then he should have
to roll double, but if he is also on a air superiority mission, then the

higher roller should get the shot.

>Once the interception is worked out the victor may make an attack using
the
>following weapons:
>
>HEL
>RAFC
>MDC
>GMS
>
>Treat all ranges as Medium where applicable.

HEL has no medium range. I would say that the effective firecon die
should depend on the target's maneouvrability, i.e. for basic man.,
use regular med. range die (close for HEL), for enh. man., shift die
type down once, for sup. man., shift die down twice.

>All other weapons are assumed to be useless in a dogfight environment.

Fair enough.

>Well, what do you think?  Looking back at it I think there should be an
>advantage given to high leadership units (intercept roll shifted up?)
but
>it isn't bad for a beginner eh?

Definitely should include the effects of pilot quality. No it's not
bad at all! In fact, it has some great ideas!

>Ndege "vectored thrust" Diamond

Cheers,

       Tony Christney
       tchristney@questercorp.com

  "If the end user has to worry about how the program was
   written then there is something wrong with that program"
				  -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: John Atkinson and Personal Attacks Next: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure