Prev: RE: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt Next: RE: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure

Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 11:11:05 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure

Adrian spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> Problem - what about areas that join the NAC as a country, ie Canada,
and
> areas that join the NAC not as a country, such as the various bits of
the
> US that aren't controlled by the residual US government after the US
civil
> war.	I figure that when the Brit/Can forces help stop the war, the
bits
> that were not under the control of the Federal Government wouldn't
have
> come back under the control of the Federal Gov't.  They were enemies,
after
> all - hence the war.	If the intervention by Brit/Can forces was to
help
> the Federal Gov't regain its territories, they would really have been
> helping the US Government win it's Civil War militarily.  I think the
> Brit/Can forces would arrive, help implement a peace agreement to stop
the
> fighting, but in a more impartial way - like peacekeepers, and then
the
> various bits of the US would join the new NAC individually.	If this
> happens, then you have different levels of law in the various founding
> parts of the NAC.  Quebec, UK, Canada have "national" level law.  So
does
> the bits of the US still working under the US Constitution.  The other
bits
> of the US don't have "national" level law, unless they declared
themselves
> countries and wrote something.   SO - does the NAC constitution
provide the
> extra law necessary to bring each area up to the same status, or maybe
as
> part of the agreement to join the NAC an area has to have its legal
codes
> cover certain areas, etc.?????

1. I think the NAC has to have some provision for Protectorates -
areas under termporary NAC high level administration until such time
as it can once again be turned over to local administration.

2. I think the NAC SuperConstitution would cover:
	A) Relationship between NAC states - governance, trade, dispute
resulution
	B) Basic rights of all NAC citizens - a NAC supreme court, basic

human rights, fundamental laws on things like murder, treason, etc.
	C) Stipulations on areas left to member states - local matters,
anything not covered in NAC SupCons such as education, social
programs, local municipal and regional laws, and the like
	D) Relationships between the NAC and other outside states -
diplomatic relations, military, trade, dispute resolution
	E) How to enter/leave the NAC

This would leave a lot of territory for local municipal, regional,
and even area (not country, since the NAC is a country, but this is
the term I'm using for the larger US fragments, Canada, etc)
governments with their own laws. The only final rule is that the NAC
SupCons has precedence in its areas of jurisdiction, where it
conflicts with local laws.

This allows places like the UK to retain Major Arcana as their basis
for government, and the US to retain the consitution with the
enshrined right to have bear arms (poor bloody bears!). And for the
Canadians to have a Constitution which enshrines Hockey as a
sacrosanct national pastime.

:) Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: RE: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt Next: RE: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure