Prev: Re: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt Next: RE: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt

Re: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:38:22 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt

Adrian spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> What happens when the other guy figures out the frequency / code to
your
> implants and mimics the IFF interrogation signal - revealing all your
> troops OR creating boobytraps / mines that use your IFF to trigger,
etc etc
> etc.

Well, this might be an EW task, and every unit might have some sort
of different code key, with some common factor.

> Would yours "turn off" if the "carrier" dies?  If they did, you
wouldn't be
> able to use them as easily for identification of casualties.	If they
> didn't, my commandos would be hacking off the heads of your divisional
> commander and staff to use as access keys to the mainframe...

Well, I think you might have (as with radio today) alternate
frequencies and codes and just transmit a message like
"X-Ray Six Six to BattleGroup, Code Golan Three". This might
means something like shift to alternate frequency, due to
enemy having compromised your current IFF (or suspicion of same).

The system has its benefits, but like most j'eune ecole technologies,
it doesn't replace solid operational planning and covering
contingencies in SOP like how to deal with these situations. And
there will be times you turn it off entirely (the DMC in Rick
Shelley's books track their enemy by their IFF blips and active
helmet sensors and comms, so you turn them off to sneak around -
handicapping you but your enemy moreso).

> Just a thought
>
> Adrian

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt Next: RE: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt