Prev: Re: [FT] The UN

Re: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 12:16:55 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Brian spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> > In an anti-vehicle role, treat exactly as CMDs. 6" out from all
sides of
> > vehicle, and roll d10 for all figures attacked. There are assumed to
be
> > enough charges on any given face of the vehicle to provide multiple
> > use.(see pg 55 SG2 for CMD rules)
> > (If you want to track ammo, go ahead. I can't be bothered).
>
> I don't know that seems awfully powerful. Do APFCs in DS have
> unlimited shots? I will definitely track ammo.

DS2 APFCs do have unlimited shots. Tracking ammunition use by APFCs is
complicated by the fact that they have four facings, so you'd need to
track four ammo levels. I figure if there's a strip of charges the whole
length of each facing, and the charges can be detonated individually (eg
each (say) 10cm section is actually an independant charge) then you can
fire charges in such a way as to cover the whole area needed and still
have reserve charges for the next time...I'm allergic to paperwork, so
won't track charges.

APFCs probably won't fire very often in any given game, so limiting ammo
probably isn't going to be a problem...If you want to, go ahead...

> >  VERY IMPORTANT: APFCs _will_not_function_at_all if there is
friendly
> > infantry within 10" of the vehicle - either IFF transponders or the
> > vehicle crew putting the system on safe to avoid shredding their own
> > grunts. Safing an APFC system does not require an action, nor does
> > re-activating the system. (the computer takes care of it, or one
switch is
> > thrown)
>
> I think this would depend on your military. An Elite IF tank gaurd
> vehicle crew might not care if they shred some irregulars as long as
> they also got the NAC regulars that were closing on them....

Granted. This is one of those quasi-role playing things - follow what
you
see as the character of the force you're playing.

> > OPTION: Have APFCs always live, unless specifically turned off. If
> > friendly inf get too close, tough luck. This might especially be the
case
> > w/ lo-tech armies - faulty or no IFFs, or faulty/no vehicle
computers to
> > handle it.
>
> I like that. Or how about always safe until you mark them as active.

Either way...

> > In an anti-buzzbomb (IAVR) role, live APFC systems add a d8 to the
> > vehicles defence roll - roll the range die plus the d8, just like
infatnry
> > in cover add a d6. APFCs do not function against GMSs - they come in
too
> > fast.(PSB, but it sounds good, and matches the DS2 rules)
>
> Too fast? You think a larger missile (GMS) is faster than an IAVR? I
> mean, it may be coherent with the DS2 rules, but it always struck me
> that these things should be able to engage incoming GMS.  In fact, I
> would be tempted in RL to develop them for that purpose.

Modern day, TOW/etc are faster than LAW-type systems. AFAIK, the
TOW-type
missles have in-flight sustainer rockets, while LAW-types just have
launch
motors. If I'm actually spouting BS here, please correct me. That is,
however, the assumption I made for these rules.

If APFCs use some sort of short-range proximity detector to function (or
crew-fired) then you can say that GMSs close the distance too fast for
APFC sensors to deal with them - that's the job of more
sophisticated/dedicated Reactive armour. Alternately, GMSs are all
top-attack systems, coming in where there's no APFC coverage...

> > These have recieved only basic solo playtesting, but they seem good
and
> > are, I think, fairly close to the DS2 rules for APFCs. I can't
recall that
> > we've ever had an SG2 game where enemy infantry got within 6" of a
> > vehicle, but anything can happen...the anti-IAVR capability could be
> > useful.
>
> I can see it in the woods, or if a vehicle is totally surrounded. But
> yes, most engagements havppen a tad further out. Urban seems like a
> 4" engagement range in a lot of cases....

Haven't done a lot of urban combat yet...I'm still getting around to
buildings. This is, however, where a system like this would be a
lifesaver...

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)
- http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9774/games.html -DS2/SG2/misc-

> Tom.
> Thomas Barclay
> Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
> Fax: (613) 831-8255
>
>  "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot.  C++ makes
>  it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg."
>  -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: [FT] The UN