Prev: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure Next: Re: [DS] Stand size for infantry

Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 12:13:07 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure

John spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> I take it this is in response to the Free Republic of Deseret remark?
> look at it this way.	Mormons have tended (in the past) to be highly
> insular and higly resistant to control by "Gentiles"[1].  They fought
> three wars, 1 against the US, 1 against Missouri militia, and once
> against Illinois Militia during their formative years.  And they shot
at
> any non-Mormon settlers straying into Utah before the US Government
got
> an appointed non-Mormon governor out there to control the territory
(and
> he required a military expedition to get him into Utah in one piece).
> And today they essentially rule Utah as a church fief.  So if the rest
> of the country went to hell in a handbasket, the Mormons would likely
> circle the wagons and ignore the rest of the country.  As to digging
> them out, I'd rather nuke the city than try to fight a guerilla war in
> such hellish terrain with absolutely nothing of value as the
> prize--what's in Utah that anyone would want?

I think, in terms of how they would react, you are right. I also
think they might end up being forced (by embargo, etc) to join the
NAC but I've already suggested the idea of semi-autonomous enclaves.
This might well be one of those. They'd have to obey the broad sweep
of NAC policy about things like Human Rights, Legal Rights in
Criminal Prosecutions, and pay some taxes to the NAC, but they'd be
otherwise locally autonimous.

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure Next: Re: [DS] Stand size for infantry