Prev: Re: [DS2]Moon - Help Requested Next: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure

Re: [DS2]Moon - Help Requested

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 11:09:24 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS2]Moon - Help Requested

Samuel spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> >I am going to run a DS2 game at the GZG-ECC. It is based on the Moon.
> >I need some help:
> >
> >1. First, I need some help with DFFG's in a vacuum. At first, I was
of
> >the opinion that they would have a longer range, since it would not
> >diffuse into the (nonexistent) atmosphere. In this, I pictured that
it
> >was held in magnetic containment for the full distance to the target.
> >After a closer reading, the plasma is not contained once it leaves
the
> >barrel of the gun. Having never taken a physics class, my question
is:
> >Would the plasma remain as a cohesive ball of gas, maintain the same
> >dispersal pattern or be even more quickly dispersed?
>
> I'd think it would be a wash. Quicker expansion because there's no
> atmospheric pressure, but slower expansion because of the lack of
> atmospheric drag and turbulence. So leave it as it is (it's simpler
> that way, anyway). Lasers (as if it matters!) would have a greater
> effective range. Slug throwers (HVC, MDC) would have a greater
> effective range due to the absence of atmospheric drag, but the
> range to the horizon might become an issue.
>
> - Sam

Or is it with slug throwers that the simple mechanical component of
the system precludes an increase in the effective range? The range
limitation may not be 'projectile dynamics' based, but rather a
result of not being able to aim reliably enough at distant targets
with projectile weapons. If that were the case, then maximum range at
which a hit might be scored might increase, but effective range would
not change. I'd tend to offer a suggestion of doubling the width of
the outer rangeband without affecting the others.

Just an idea.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: [DS2]Moon - Help Requested Next: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure