Prev: Re: [FT] Scatterguns (was Keeping "Old" RGs) Next: [DS] Stand size for infantry

Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, Anglo-Federal armor

From: Randall Case <tgunner@e...>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 22:20:29 -0600
Subject: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, Anglo-Federal armor

> And yes, it would not be compared to pre-war formations.  But I highly
> doubt that the US military in 2020 will be as large as it is today.
Not by
> a long shot - there's no way they'll be able to afford it, and
introduce
> all the wonder-tech they want to.  Not at $100 million per fighter and
$5
> million per tank.  After several years of civil war, I imagine most of
the
> high-tech gee-whiz stuff will have worn out or been destroyed -
probably
> much of it at the beginning of the conflict - and with the US
industrial
> infrastructure disrupted, they won't be replacing it as they destroy
it.
> So if Britain and Canada were to field large formations of troops,
> well-equipped *compared to their potential opposition*, they may well
be
> able to make a difference.

Gotta agree with you. After a couple of years without the full support
of its
manufacturing base (and a huge chunk of the US tax base), the US Army
during the
2d Civil War would start looking VERY Twlight 2000ish!!

In our campaign (yeah, I keep harping on it :), the Anglo-Canadian
forces were the
best as far as having mostly mechanized forces. Granted, they were
small, BUT a
single mech brigade from the UK had the fire power of a FULL American
division.
Most US divisions in our game were infantry based with a few tanks and
other AFVs
tagging along (generally one or two battalions per nine infantry
battalions).
During the Nashville Campaign, what saved the Southern Coalition was its
committment of its precious armor reserves (a spoiling attack from
western
Tennessee into the Anglo-Federal support bases in Kentucky). That took
me off
guard, and forced me to pull precious armor regiments away from
Nashville and
launch a counterattack toward Cairo, Illinois (in case you are curious,
we used
the old FASA Perfect game to run the operational stuff). Anyway, we
assigned
mostly infantry to the US and US sucessor forces (the USRA had the most
number of
tanks and AFVs). While on the other hand, the Canadian and British
forces were
primarly armor/mechanized. The Anglo-Canadian units provided the armored
core to
any Anglo-Federal force.

Prev: Re: [FT] Scatterguns (was Keeping "Old" RGs) Next: [DS] Stand size for infantry