Prev: Re: [DSII] IF Ground Units Next: Re: [DS] camo schemes for vehicles

Re: [DSII] IF Ground Units

From: CartoGrafx@a...
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 11:17:01 EST
Subject: Re: [DSII] IF Ground Units

In a message dated 12/12/98 1:13:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
laserlight@cwix.com writes:

<< Yeah?  You want to drive a panzer down one of these?  Really?  Even
better,
 how about an armor transporter?  My parents live on what was until
recently
 a dirt road, but it took a lot of work to convert it from "cattle path"
 "dirt road."

 >....Grav
 > still too technical for major use by these people

 They have starships, or they wouldn't be here in the first place.  I
grant
 you the citizen may well have camel trails to follow, but probably a
GEV or
 grav bus as well.  And the military will probably have a fairly high
 proportion of the technical people ("Join the Army, learn a career").
 can't see wheeled or tracked military vehicles anywhere that has the
 ability to produce GEV or above, unless there are special terrain
 considerations or there is a road net already in place.

I tell you what...I'm not gonna argue with you...suffice to say the
Germans
used dirt roads to great effect in 1941 in Russia...1940 in Greece for
that
matter. If you followed the thread, John Atkinson was attempting to lay
out a
reasonable set of social characteristics for one power. I was attempting
add to that flavor with our only point of reference...the Earth. The
great
thing about Sci-fi is that it's not real and you can have your opinion
and I
can have mine. If John can have large bands  of flunkies with assault
rifles
in trucks and some sort of Cossack like light cav troopers, why couldn't
you
expect these people to be a bit technically backward? Sure there would
be some
Grav, some hover...but economically (from a technical standpoint) if
they
don't breed a lot of techs, and most of those they do are siphoned off
provide for the space services, then why couldn't they be primarily low
tech?
Look at Turkey today....the airforce siphons off most of the technically
superior people that want to go into the service, leaving the dregs for
the
navy and the army....which is why they fly f-16's while making do with
1960's
era tanks and WWII converted warships.
As far as getting into space goes, are the ships registered to those
planets?
Are they built there? Who crews them? All natives? Go out in the field
and get
Joe Farmer to navigate your frigate? Hmmmmm...who knows? Who really
cares? You
have your world view and I have mine. And frankly, never the twain shall
meet.
Flame me if you want, cause this is my last response. Like I said, I'm
not
gonna argue with you.

BTW...John I admire what you are doing and think it is a great
idea...frankly
I love the idea of a new Roman Empire in space and see it as a wonderful
scenario generator. I hope you at least looked at my input for the IF
since
you didn't post anything in return to the idea I had. Thanks, David

Prev: Re: [DSII] IF Ground Units Next: Re: [DS] camo schemes for vehicles