Prev: Re: [FT][SG][DS] structure of the NAC (really long) Next: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure

Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure of the NAC (really long)

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 00:05:12 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure of the NAC (really long)

Jared E Noble wrote:

> Let's not go there, John...

I take it this is in response to the Free Republic of Deseret remark?  I
look at it this way.  Mormons have tended (in the past) to be highly
insular and higly resistant to control by "Gentiles"[1].  They fought
three wars, 1 against the US, 1 against Missouri militia, and once
against Illinois Militia during their formative years.	And they shot at
any non-Mormon settlers straying into Utah before the US Government got
an appointed non-Mormon governor out there to control the territory (and
he required a military expedition to get him into Utah in one piece).
And today they essentially rule Utah as a church fief.	So if the rest
of the country went to hell in a handbasket, the Mormons would likely
circle the wagons and ignore the rest of the country.  As to digging
them out, I'd rather nuke the city than try to fight a guerilla war in
such hellish terrain with absolutely nothing of value as the
prize--what's in Utah that anyone would want?

I don't have anything against most Mormons (the former Governor of
Arizona who thought he had achieved Godhood and was impeached for
embezzlement is an exception) but that's an honest call on the future of
Utah.  It's no more intended to be deliberately offensive than the
references by our Trans-Atlantic cousin to the "Fudamentalist Christian
Coalition" is intended to be derogatory to the average Christian[2].

[1]For those not familliar with Mormon buzzwords, this is a non-Mormon,
not a non-Jew.
[2]Assuming said Christian is not a Pat Buchanan/Pat
Robertson-worshiping fascist, that is (I can say this--it describes more
than one  of my relatives.)

John M. Atkinson