Prev: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT Next: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Structure of the NAC

Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 14:58:05 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT

G'day once again fine gentlemen (or folk if you're the politically
correct
type),

Thanks for the GEV info Tom.

>Depending on timings, they could come to an arrangement with the
>Dutch, the New Israelis, or some such to provide "security" for these
>islands and cadre to train their security forces.

Nice idea. I'll have to sort out my dates and get back to you on this
one.

>Hmm. I'd suggest that it might have to do with the UN needing every
>ally it can get. DId anyone oppose this? (Like all the major powers?)
>Does IAS have any traditional enemies? (I'd guess NSL and ESU to one
>extent or another as prime offenders, and maybe the IF and the
>Japanese).  Scandinavian Federation and maybe the NAC would support
>them, as might the RH (just to oppose the ESU), and the OU (to get in
>the face of the IF and the ESU). I suspect the LLAR would support it

>(to be a pain to the Terran powers) and that the FSE would remain
>neutral. PAU would probably not like it as they no doubt feel they
>are owed a chunk of the global resource pie, having had Africa raped
>by the major powers over the centuries.
>
>Thoughts?

I hadn't sorted out enemy-ally status yet, but I can say that the
initial
nation status did not occur unopposed and that the FSE and OU will both
be
friendly whereas the NSL (at least) will be much cooler (probably
business
only kind of setting).

>Perhaps unparalleled exploitation capability for hostile environments
>and for ice worlds. And perhaps some pretty funky undersea
>exploration capabilities too. And for some reason I imagine the idea
>of advanced electromagnetic research facilities seems appropriate.

I was thinking along these lines too pretty much. That and being able to
crew ships that are going to be a long way out for a very long time.

>>It also
>> sells/leases its services in exploration and deep space travel to
>> allcomers, but especially the UN.
>
>Maybe the UN has the right to ask it to refuse contracts from people
>involved in conflict with the UN.

Considering the amount of support (at least in the early years) I could
see
this happening (at least at some stage).

>So they could well be co-existing with other nationalities on many
>rim or rougher colonial worlds. (Although less so with any
>traditional enemies).

Yep. I've never really thought it completely feasible that nation y owns
all of system, or even planet, x - especially if nation y is a little
guy.
I think there'd probably be a few places that were at least shared by a
couple of nations if not more. Well at least there's the potential for
this
kind of "share" or "lease" arrangement - after all I can't imagine the
IAS
(for example) being able to hold on to something if one of the big boys
REALLY wanted it, but getting in from the other end, well that's a
different matter ;)

Like I said lots of polishing to go yet.

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax (03) 6232 5199 International +61 3 6232 5199

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT Next: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Structure of the NAC