Prev: RE: [FT] PBEM game parameters? Next: Re: [FT] PBEM game parameters?

Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 19:28:00 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT

Beth spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> G'day Tom,

Hi Beth! (and of course, the assembled masses!)

> >I think GEVs would be of use - closed cockpit, heated, good manoevre
> >over snow, although ridges and such present some issues but so does
> >less that billiard ball planes in non arctic conditions. They'd offer

> >speed and low ground pressure. Might have problems with fans icing
> >when stopped, but I think the friction vs the air of spinning fans
> >would keep them from icing in motion (and you could do some other
> >tricks like putting heating elements in the fan blades).
>
> I honestly don't know anything about these things, so a couple of
curiosity
> based questions for you.
> How would they take to shelf collapses (i.e. if crevasse suddenly
forms do
> they go down with it?)?

Well, GEVs have lower ground pressure and so would offer less odds of
a shelf collapse. If it collapsed, and the driver was quick, he could
gun the fans and probably hop over or away from the collapse.
Otherwise, he'd probably spill over and lose the hover cushion as the
plenum inclined and be as dead as any other vehicle.

> How do they cope with wind?

Therein lies the problem. Think of an air puck and and a high powered
fan. It would make manouvring fun. In real bad weather, you'd
probably ground to wait out the windstorm. Or have really
ridiculously overpowered fans.

> >I'd be interested in hearing detail of how you propose this change
> >occured. This does not seem to be a totally trivial effort.
>
> Involves a lot of diplomacy and deals. As I said before, I'm still
working
> out the exact details (especially dates), but to give a quick summary:
> - Other nations wanted the commercial mining companies out too (only
so
> they could put there own miners in and get the proceeds for
themselves)

Sensible.

> - IAS (science body) convinces national bodies involved and UN to
"sell"
> them the polar islands (Macquarie, Crozies etc.) in return for the
> scientists (guaranteed) continued "service" at those locations as well
as
> additional scientific and engineering aid in other areas. And the move
> wasn't unprecedented as China had sold off Hong Kong (or something) to
> large commercial company x years before etc.

Depending on timings, they could come to an arrangement with the
Dutch, the New Israelis, or some such to provide "security" for these
islands and cadre to train their security forces.

> - UN (eventually) formally recognises the IAS as a nation in (once
again
> mostly in return for services).

Hmm. I'd suggest that it might have to do with the UN needing every
ally it can get. DId anyone oppose this? (Like all the major powers?)
Does IAS have any traditional enemies? (I'd guess NSL and ESU to one
extent or another as prime offenders, and maybe the IF and the
Japanese).  Scandinavian Federation and maybe the NAC would support
them, as might the RH (just to oppose the ESU), and the OU (to get in
the face of the IF and the ESU). I suspect the LLAR would support it
(to be a pain to the Terran powers) and that the FSE would remain
neutral. PAU would probably not like it as they no doubt feel they
are owed a chunk of the global resource pie, having had Africa raped
by the major powers over the centuries.

Thoughts?

> The IAS does depend on the UN for a great deal of support - which it
repays
> by supplying military and other personnel and services.

Perhaps unparalleled exploitation capability for hostile environments
and for ice worlds. And perhaps some pretty funky undersea
exploration capabilities too. And for some reason I imagine the idea
of advanced electromagnetic research facilities seems appropriate.

 It also
> sells/leases its services in exploration and deep space travel to
> allcomers, but especially the UN.

Maybe the UN has the right to ask it to refuse contracts from people
involved in conflict with the UN.

 They do have a couple/few planets of
> their own (note NOT systems only planets) and they often negiotiate
> long-term leases for inhospitable continents/regions (hot or cold) on
other
> peoples worlds.

So they could well be co-existing with other nationalities on many
rim or rougher colonial worlds. (Although less so with any
traditional enemies).

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: RE: [FT] PBEM game parameters? Next: Re: [FT] PBEM game parameters?