Prev: Re: [SG] Scenario with engineers Next: RE: Fleet Book question

Re: [FT] New Israel - Re: National Differences (Long)

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:38:32 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] New Israel - Re: National Differences (Long)

John spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> [Much Snippage]
>
> >> NI does not have a significant sponsored merc force. It does
> hire/loan
> >> out some of its resources at times - primarily in the intelligence
> >> gathering arm. Mossad spyships are quite popular  (e.g the  Ayin or
> >> "Eye" Series).
> >
> >I can see good reasons for a *mercenary* force. Ever read Not For
> >Glory by Joel Rosenberg? This has a lot to say about a similar
> >situation. There, the planet is not rich and manpower is the only
> >resource. Hence mercenaries are a source of revenue that helps keep
> >the planet alive. As I assume it is lucrative, this may also apply to

> >a New Israel trying to rebuild Old Israel.
>
> Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!  "Not For Glory", "Emile and the
> Dutchman", and "Hero" are all concerned with the (forgive me for
> mangling the name, it's been a while...) Metzadan mercenary force, and

> make damned good reading.  I recommend them all highly, although they
> are not easy to find these days.

Emile and the Dutchman? I have the other two. Can you get me an ISBN
number? Mail me off list if you have it. And one for NFG too... as
some one of my scurilous friends has acquired it from me....

> John Crimmins
> johncrim@voicenet.com

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: [SG] Scenario with engineers Next: RE: Fleet Book question