Prev: RE: Re: [DS] Why play DS? Next: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT

Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@o...>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 00:30:59 +0000
Subject: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT

At 10:56 09/12/98 +1000, you wrote:
>G'day,
>
>>	Fighting on Antartica does not look like fun. Heavy casulaties
just from
>>the place let alone fighting. Does Beth have anything to say here.
>
>Beth pulls head out of C++ with that vacant expression only research
>student's can ever truly master. "Hey? What? Have I missed something
>(again)?". She then huriedly goes and digs through remnants of Monday's
>mail (which she dutifuly collects for hubbie, but never quite gets time
>read), finds the thread and tries (vainly) to update herself - probably
>getting it ass about as she goes along. She then returns and tries to
write
>something that won't make her look like a complete moron :)

	Dare we classify you as "the absent mineded professor type"?
	(duck)
<snip>
>	As for the fate of Antarctica within the GZG universe, well I'm
still
>working out the finer points. Basically though, "nationalistic face"
based
>international conservation (as in "our conservation is as good as
yours")
>made sure the scientists had free reign for longer than would otherwise
>have been the case. Eventually though the major powers turned to
military
>matters and as their attention shifted the mining companies sent in
>mercs.,Half a decade later the IAS had metamorphosed from a scientific
>organisation (to do with antarctic studies) into a nation of its own -
they
>then returned to Antarctica and kicked the miners and their mercs out
(more
>by getting themselves employed as essential personnel and then locking
the
>doors). Even then the recognition of the IAS's existence as a nation
had a
>lot more to do with the fact they'd also made themselves indispensible
>the earlier exploration missions as scientists and engineers (a niche
they
>continued to exploit from that point forward).
>
>I'm not sure if any of that was what you're after or on thread, but I
hope
>it helped.

	That more what I was after. (people tend to get touchy about
their own
private worlds for some reason). I just wanted to know how you saw the
formation of the IAS as happening. From the above it would sound like
they
are pretty good at spying, inflitration and sabotage.

	Tony.
	twilko@ozemail.com.au