Prev: Re: Re: [DS] Why play DS? Next: Sa'vasku variants

Re: Sa'Vasku

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 22:23:43 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Sa'Vasku

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Aaron Teske wrote:
> At 01:24 AM 12/8/98 +0000, tom wrote:
> >users.ox.ac.uk/~univ0938/gzg/savasku.mail
> Pretty nice!

thanks!

>  That must've come by when I was in one of my, "I haven't read
> list mail for three days now... hmm... DELETE!" modes.

being a student, i am able to read list mail at leisure. however, there
have been times when a few hundred gems of wisdom were uncerermoniously
flushed unread ...

> And you never know, some of those females might not be *that*
immobile...
> well, actually, they are, but they're just in long-term orbits, and
the
> females occationally get mistaken for comets.... ^_^

well, i suppose nothing is truly immobile, but the females are more or
less unable to maneuver, so orbit is all they can do. still, those long
orbits are a possibility - perhaps there is an SV archmother which
swings
by terra every 513 years. in fact, the Bavarians know this to be so ...

> >none of the morphs described in my piece are really capable of making
> >planetfall. however, the SV do have an alternative lifecycle which
kicks
> >in when planets are available, as the upcoming paper will reveal.
> Cool!  Do they act anything like the Mycon, maybe with no-so-nice
planets,
> or is that a bit too nasty? ^_^

the which? never heard of no Mycon. a web search indicates that they are
an indian construction company. or some sort of biological spacefarers.
thermostable fungoids. i see what you mean about terraforming - they
burrow into human-habitable worlds (eg earth) and turn the into
mycon-habitable worlds (eg venus). i wasn't quite thinking along those
lins, but i can see what you're getting at.

since the SV live in deep space, they would prefer cold planets such as
titanm or europa, where they can get plentiful organic compounds, to
hotter places like earth. however, given what has been said about the
temperature of space this may change. i repeat my call for other people
write what they think the SV are. my only lead in the literature so far
is
the sundogs from terry pratchett's 'the dark side of the sun'.

Tom

Prev: Re: Re: [DS] Why play DS? Next: Sa'vasku variants