Prev: Re: [SGII] Mini review and question for KR Next: [FT/FB]

RE: [FT] Keeping "Old" RGs

From: "Wasserman, Kurt" <wasku01@m...>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 13:57:24 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT] Keeping "Old" RGs

Howdy Tim,

The problem that I am having is that all of the "This Weapon is More
Powerful Than That Weapon" issues can all be addressed by tweaking point
costs.	If a given weapon is the best at long range, the best at short
range
and also the best in the middle range, then it should have a higher
point
cost.  I believe we all agree there.

> >by factoring the "penetrating damage" into the newfangled RGs' base
> damage,
> >it will eliminate the possibility of a multiple reroll shot.  This
cuts
> the
> >potential, albeit low probability, damage from the weapon system.
> >

> My latest figures show class 3 beams (with rerolls) are more cost
> effective
> than class 3 railguns at long range. At close range the tables are
turned.

<NOD>

> Also don't forget most ships with Railguns will have equivalent of
level 1
> screens due to integral armor so the beam effectiveness drops from
that
> published, while the railguns don't. I think they are more than
powerful
> enough without the added complication of beam like rerolls.

<I don't think of this as an issue as eventually, there WILL be non-KV
ships
mounting RGs.  It is even suggested in the books...  This can and should
be
point-regulated and not mechanics-regulated.>

> Plus scatterguns are very bad news close in too.

<Ummm, not really a valid argument as SMLs are bad news, Capital
Missiles
are bad news and PTs are bad news.  The 1-shot nature of the SGs makes a
prolonged fighter/missile engagement turn towards the Hu'man side after
3-4
turns.>

My point is that a single weapon that can destroy a superdreadnought
with
one really, really lucky shot is just the kind of randomness that makes
game for me.  That 0-level orc with a short bow taking down the hero or
the
pilot who used to bullseye womp-rats at home dropping a torp down an
exhaust
shaft makes for a very memorable battle.  Where is the fun in winning a
battle that boiled down to staying in an optimum range band where one's
weapons had the best efficiency?  Isn't it better to say in the AAR that
there was one destroyer that got a stinking beam shot through on that
carrier and that it triggered a crucial threshold check with its great
damage reroll?

-=Kr'rt

Also, thanks for the probability info...

Prev: Re: [SGII] Mini review and question for KR Next: [FT/FB]