Prev: RE: [FT] "Old" FB Railguns Next: RE: [FT] "Old" FB Railguns

Re: [FT] New Israel - Re: National Differences (Long)

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 09:59:52 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] New Israel - Re: National Differences (Long)

>> I can see good reasons for a *mercenary* force. Ever read Not For
>> Glory by Joel Rosenberg? This has a lot to say about a similar
>> situation. There, the planet is not rich and manpower is the only
>> resource. Hence mercenaries are a source of revenue that helps keep
>> the planet alive. As I assume it is lucrative, this may also apply to
>> a New Israel trying to rebuild Old Israel.
>
>Also, even if the resource/revenue situation isn't as bad as in NOT FOR
>GLORY, maintaining a top-of-the-line standing military force is very
>expensive, especially if there is no clearly-defined present threat.
>Research (a must if you want to be truly independent) is especially
>expensive.
>
>Revenues from selling mercenaries would help off-set some of those
>costs.  Regularly fielding mercenary forces would also guarantee a
large
>reserve of veterans and provide opportunities to field test new tactics
>and equipment.

And as you researched military technology and developed your experience
base, you would inevitably create advanced systems that could be sold
for
revenue.  Maybe like the US does today - where it has advanced systems
that
it sells to valued allies and the *really* advanced systems which it
mostly
keeps to itself.  Besides mercenaries, you could create a significant
arms
export industry based on home grown technology and upgrades to others'
tech
- somewhat like present day Israel (and the Dirigent Mercenary Corps if
you
read those books...)

Prev: RE: [FT] "Old" FB Railguns Next: RE: [FT] "Old" FB Railguns