Prev: RE: [FT] Keeping "Old" RGs Next: Re: [FT] Sa'Vasku Screens

Re: Cardboard Armour (Don't tell Jon)

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 14:42:12 -0500
Subject: Re: Cardboard Armour (Don't tell Jon)

>I have been exprimenting with building 25mm vehicles out of cardboard.

>Draw  it out, score, cut and glue. So far all I  have	is an APC,  the
>shape of which is more complicated than an M113 (but then, so are some
>shoe boxes). It needs tarting up, with bits from the spares box and I
>have some wire mesh that will make inteesting chertzen, the space
behind
>which I can fill up with dunnage.
>The  skirt (for it is a GEV, because there are no wheels to worry about

>and I dislike grav craft) is simply masking tape wrapped around  the
>base of the hull, it has that textured look.
>My only fear is  that the whole  thing  will disintergrate when I paint

>it.
>
>If it works I will experiment with using CAD for the plan, then I can
>print out dozens of them and post it for your amusement.
>
>Cardboard vehicles would also allow easy conversion and   with
>stiffening would allow open topped vehicles or burnt out  wrecks with
>near scale plate thicknesses.

Two ideas for painting:  Spray it with several coats of acrylic laquer
(better several light coats than one heavy one) to "waterproof" the
model,
then give it a spray with black primer and paint it normally.

If you aren't comfortable with the laquer, mix up a batch of
white-glue/water and apply by spraying (maybe use an old detergent spray
bottle or something).  This still has a high water content so do it in
LIGHT coats and experiment before spraying on your model - but the white
glue will act as an excellent sealer.

Adrian

Prev: RE: [FT] Keeping "Old" RGs Next: Re: [FT] Sa'Vasku Screens