Prev: Re: [fh ot] Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Star s) Next: [FT] Other Kra'Vak wepon systems

[FT] My Railgun Variant

From: "John C" <john1x@h...>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 06:33:44 PST
Subject: [FT] My Railgun Variant

Just because someone (I don't remember who, sorry) asked for the
reposting, here are my Railgun rules again, all in one place.  I am
going to make use of them myself, one way or another-if not for the
Kra'Vak then for some other hapless alien race.

I am making the following assumptions with Railguns:
     First, it's not easy to hit a distant target with one.
     Secondly, if you DO hit, you inflict major damage on your
unfortunate enemy.  (Blame the Colonial Marines Technical Manual for
this.  If anyone cares, I can post the relevant paragraphs.)
     Thirdly, Railgun damage is consistent, regardless of range.
     Fourtly, Railguns fire what is effectively a gigantic cannonball.
No, it is not the most logical approach, but it feels right for the KV.
     Fifthly, all Railguns are one arc weapons.
     Sixthly, Railguns have a high mass and point cost.

Cannon Mode:
      The attacker must roll HIGHER than the range to the target (in
inches or cm, whichever is appropriate) on 4d6.  All sixes are
re-rolled, and added to the previous total. If the attacker succeeds in
rolling higher than the range, he hits.  Damage is equal to 1d6/class of

the gun.  Damage is applied half to armor (rounded up), and half to
hull.
     Example: The Kra'Vak ship "D'mit" fires a Class 3 Railgun at
       the FSE ship "Floating Target", 14 inches away. The KV player
       rolls 4d6, getting 3,6,2, and 2, for a total score of 13. The
       six is rerolled, producing a five, for a new total of 18.  The
       roll is higher than the range, so the FSE ship is hit.  The KV
       player rolls 3d6, for a total of 12 points.  The "Floating
       Target" goes boom.

     Simple enough, right?  I decided that the "to hit" roll should not
vary by class size, as the size of the shot should not make any
significant changes to the effective range.  The use of four dice gives
RGs an average range of 13 or 14 inches, if my math is correct, so they
are still going to be best at short range.  The rerolling of sixes on
the damage dice is optional, but seems a little harsh under the
circumstances.	The main advantage of this mechanic, to my mind, is that

is very simple and requires no charts whatsoever.

Submitted for your (dis) approval.

John Crimmins
Johncrim@voicenet.com

Prev: Re: [fh ot] Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Star s) Next: [FT] Other Kra'Vak wepon systems