Prev: [URL] 3d GZG starmap up! (was Re:[FT]Size of "Countries" in FT) Next: RE: [URL] 3d GZG starmap up! (was Re:[FT]Size of "Countries" in FT)

Re: [FH] NRE

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 00:29:05 -0800
Subject: Re: [FH] NRE

Laserlight wrote:

> NRE.	The NRE, as described, doesn't seem to *rely* on being clever;
and in

Note:  Incomplete description so far--I'm still debugging.  :)	Also
don't take bombast put out by any of the NRE's partisans as gospel.  ;)

> swat Angola doesn't mean they could treat England the same way.  Your
> tagmatic troops may be the toughest, roughest, most highly disciplined
> troops between here and Velikiy Alarish--but the FSE Legionnaires are
> probably pretty hot stuff too, and there are a lot more of them.
Maybe a

Note that I tried to write the conflict with superpower early on--in
2103 the FSE are in the middle of a fight for their life with NSL
armored divisions on Earth itself!  Why would they care if a colony
declared independance, and they could refer to themselves as whatever
they wanted as long as they didn't land reinforcments for the NSL.  I
imagine a LOT of former EC colonies went their own way[1], if they were
anything close to self-sufficient (at least in things like oxygen and
drinkable water, heh).	Since then the conflicts have been with other
third-rate outfits like RH and IF.

> little more of "the NRE troops were badly outnumbered, but superior
> discipline and military tech were sufficient to inflict a defeat on
the
> brave, but poorly trained, IF forces."  Everyone loves an
underdog--that's
> why my Alarishi Empire is a SMALL power.

:)  Will revise some in light of comments on list.  This is what I mean
by wanting feedback.

[1]My view of universe is somewhat more fragmented than some--many, if
not most, colonies are not affiliated with any of the Terran powers.

John M. Atkinson