Prev: RE: [DSII]Turrets Next: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT

[FT] RG Damage Vs. Armour

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 19:54:44 -0800
Subject: [FT] RG Damage Vs. Armour

As I see it, the current problem is how to make sure that RG1s are still
effective in an armoured world. The only way I see it can be done is by
allowing the RG1 to score (potentially) more than 1 point of damage. So
maybe we should look as how RGs damage things. I have a couple of
alternate
methods that still keep to the single die roll for to-hit and damage.

This also addresses the problem with RG3s and RG4s, which were too
effective IMO. Lets face it - 9 points is an awful lot of damage.

#1 has my vote of those I've listed...

[1]
The to-hit mechanic stays the same, but the score of each die determines
its damage. On any roll to hit at any range, 2s and 3s result in 1
point,
4s and 5s result in 2 points, and 6s result in 2 points plus a reroll.

Roll	1	2	3	4	5	6
0-6	0	1	1	2	2	2+reroll
6-12	0	0	1	2	2	2+reroll
12-18	0	0	0	2	2	2+reroll
18-24	0	0	0	0	2	2+reroll
24-30	0	0	0	0	0	2+reroll

This gives an average damage at range of:

Range	RG1	RG2	RG3
0-6	1.6	3.2	4.8
6-12	1.4	2.8	4.2
12-18	1.2	2.4	3.6
18-24	.8	1.6	2.4
24-30	.4	.8	1.2

OK, now on to something completely different:

[2]
Just switch to no rerolls and give the potential for a little more
damage.

Roll	1	2	3	4	5	6
0-6	0	1	1	2	2	3
6-12	0	0	1	2	2	3
12-18	0	0	0	2	2	3
18-24	0	0	0	0	2	3
24-30	0	0	0	0	0	3

This gives an average damage at range of:

Range	RG1	RG2	RG3
0-6	1.5	3	4.5
6-12	1.3	2.6	4
12-18	1.1	2.3	3.5
18-24	.8	1.6	2.5
24-30	.5	1	1.5

or...

[3]
This was actually my first idea, and turned out to be my least favorite
in
the end. At 2 over the "hit number" you get 2 points, and at 4 over you
get
3.

Roll	1	2	3	4	5	6
0-6	0	1	1	2	2	3
6-12	0	0	1	1	2	2
12-18	0	0	0	1	1	2
18-24	0	0	0	0	1	1
24-30	0	0	0	0	0	1

This gives an average damage at range of:

Range	RG1	RG2	RG3
0-6	1.5	3	4.5
6-12	1	2	3
12-18	.66	1.3	2
18-24	.33	.66	1
24-30	.16	.33	.5

Comments?

Schoon

Prev: RE: [DSII]Turrets Next: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT