Prev: JT and the 'Big Picture' Next: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT

Re: GZGL FH - Habitats in Space.

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 10:51:26 -0500
Subject: Re: GZGL FH - Habitats in Space.

Thomas spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> i really can't see space habitats purely for people to live in as
being
> very important: i think history teaches us that expansion is in search
of
> resources rather than anything else.

I guess a view *might* suggest that.... but there are more things
under Heav'n and Earth, Horatio.....

 things like religious freedom account
> for a tiny fraction of human exploration (sure, the pilgrim fathers
were
> the first to settle in north america, but it wasn't them who truly
> colonised the continent).

Counter/Otherpoints:
1. I can make some stuff in space (crystals etc) that I can't manage
in a gravity well.
2.  I might need to live in a system for strategic reasons having
nothing to do with resources.
3. Some of the inner colonies may have been established with weaker
stardrives which limited options so space stations may have been the
only approach.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: JT and the 'Big Picture' Next: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT