Prev: Re: GZGL FH - Habitats in Space. Next: [MISC] Something of general interest

Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 23:02:40 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT

Nyrath spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> I used a 3-d starmapping program I'm developing.  I somewhat
> arbitrarily took the limit of known space to be 10 parsecs in
> radius, filtered out all the stars that were double or outside
> of spectral class F,G, or K, and went to work with the rest.
> I put the Romanov empire in a critical spot, and tried to
> make the ESU and NAU clash at Chi Draconis.

Who are the NAU? (*grin*)

One could say the range from 10-20 parsecs out could be the 'far
colonies' which could be left to player demenses - small areas where
dissident groups wanting to be far from the rest of mankind could go,
or places for research, military, corporate, or religious outposts.

It would be interesting to think about how many of these stars may
have mutliple habitable planets, or multiple resource rich planets,
thus making multiple nations stake claims in those systems. I think
the inner colonies would have an earth like multinational feel by
now. It might be interesting to spec out the major groups represented
on each inner colony world.

> I have GIF starmaps of this plotted, and will email them
> to anybody upon request.

Nice gif. If you have any control of the star name placement, a
couple overlap rather badly.

Any thought been given to which other planets might have presences on
them for research, military (ie strategic choke point or training
base or cache), or other reasons? Not a formal colony but....

You missed column labels.....

Also, I was thinking someone should plunk these into a spreadsheet
and come up with some travel times from Jon's latest discourse on
stardrives (maybe a military one and a merchant one - normal
cruising). It'd be a huge matrix, or maybe a multi-page file with
travel times to other inhabited worlds from a planet on each page.

Just my 0.02.

BTW, Fab work Winchell!

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: GZGL FH - Habitats in Space. Next: [MISC] Something of general interest