Prev: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars) Next: Re: Asteroid combat [was Re: Planet types]

Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 12:02:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Tony Wilkinson wrote:

> At 13:40 30/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >  How about:
> >
> >  7) Asteroid/planetoid (really low gravity)
> >	No vehicals (except spacecraft).  Infantry movement would double
or
> tripple.
> >    No combat at say 2 feet (24inches) because of the curvature of
the
> surface...
> >
> >Donald Hosford
> >

>	Ok. Sounds good. At that scale the whole table is literally the
planets
> surface. I wonder how many people could adapt to that situation and
support
> units on the left by moving to the right. You'd have to start both
forces
> well into the middle of the table otherwise they would start off by
facing
> back to back. Challenge!

I was just thinking about this - having a wrap-around table, so to
speak.
It'd make weapon ranges a bit odd, and would take some getting used to,
but it would have some good effects: it would end the extremely gamish
'hugging of the table edge' phenomenom that crops up every once in a
while.

You'd be doing terrible things to the geometry of an ovoid/spherical
asteroid, 'unfolding' it onto a flat rectangular table, but that cant be
avoided, really...Although the math nuts among us might entertain
themselves by coming up with formulas to describe what happens to
movement
& fire along the edges of the table, which would of nessescity be the
most
distorted.

Having FT battles 'alongside' your DS/SG asteroid battle would be very
cool. You'd just have to watch that your ortillery didn't break the
asteroid up while you still had troops on it...(unlikely, but
interesting...)

Maybe I'll write up an asteroid-based scenario and inflict it on my
gaming
group sometime soon, then send an AAR to the list.

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)
-- http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9774/ --DS2/SG2/games
website--

Prev: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars) Next: Re: Asteroid combat [was Re: Planet types]