Prev: RE: [FT] Kra'Vak Changes Next: Re: [OT] military clip art

RE: [GZG] New Bavaria--Very Long

From: Michael Brown <mkkabrow@w...>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 21:33:35 -0800
Subject: RE: [GZG] New Bavaria--Very Long

WE are not amused...

Fnord

-----Original Message-----
From:	John Crimmins [SMTP:johncrim@voicenet.com]
Sent:	Monday, November 30, 1998 7:08 PM
To:	gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Subject:	[GZG] New Bavaria--Very Long

Having had too much time on my hands at work this week, I have turned my

mind to the idea of creating my own power within the "Official" GZG
background.  Being, however, very weird, I decided to do it my way.  The

result follows.  This started as a joke, but the more I consider the New

Bavarians, the more I like them.

They have been known by many names, but the most famous (paradoxically
enough, considering their true nature) was The Illuminati.  For
centuries, the Ancient and Illuminated Seers of Bavaria had ruled
humanity with a grip, not of iron, but of glass--cold, hard, and, unless

you knew exactly where to look, very difficult to see.	But like glass,
the Illuminati's hold was far more fragile than it appeared.  Since the
beginning of civilization itself, the Illuminati had worked tirelessly
to retard the progress of humanity's social and technological
development, but as the 21st century surged on, it became increasingly
clear that they were losing the struggle.  Humanity was growing in
directions that were impossible to predict, let alone control.	Some
believed that the Internet had been their downfall; others blamed the
printing press, or writing itself.  But, whatever the cause, there was
one fact that they could agree upon: the end was, at long last, at hand.

For the ruling cabal, this was simply intolerable.  Power was their meat

and drink--their very lives!--and they would not surrender it willingly.

For the better part of a decade, the cabal argued and debated their
fate...but the answer, when it came, was astonishingly simple.

	"We can no longer rule the world?  Very well.  Let us then find
a world
that we CAN rule."  And thus, the exodus was born.  Thirteen ships were
constructed from hollowed-out asteroids, built quickly, quietly, and
precisely by men and women that the world thought long dead.  And, at
5:23 PM, GMT, on May 23, 2138, thirteen asteroids vanished without a
fuss, taking the most powerful men alive to the stars, along with their
servants, slaves, and sycophants.

	Only one man, an astronomer named Nicholas Celine, noticed the
disappearance.	Celine launched a frantic search for the missing
asteroids, desperate to discover exactly what had happened to the
subject of his graduate thesis.  Tragically, Nicholas Celine died of a
massive heart attack thirty-five minutes after starting his search,
before he could inform anyone of what he had witnessed.  Celine had no
previous history of heart trouble, but he had, after all, been under
intense pressure.  His family misses him very much.

	The star was named Weishaupt, and the world was named,
whimsically, New
Bavaria.  The colony that developed over the next fifty years was the
very model of efficiency.  Everyone, man woman, and child, had an
assigned place in this new society, and none of them dared protest this
place.	The price of disobedience was high indeed: dissidents were
stripped of their will, their individuality...and, according to rumor,
their souls.  There are those who would liken New Bavaria to an ant
colony.  And there are many on the planet that would envy the ants their

freedom.

	The people of New Bavaria can be divided into two types:
citizens and
thralls.  Thralls are conditioned, using an esoteric combination of
drugs,
subliminal induction, and direct neural manipulation, to obey any and
all
commands given by a citizen, no matter what the cost.  Even normal
humans
would be hard pressed to disregard a direct order from a Bavarian
citizen-voice, posture, and expression all combine in subtle ways to
make
them appear commanding and trustworthy.

	Three years later, in 2141, a settlement was established on New
Bavaria's
sister planet, Lemuria.  Lemuria's environment was far less pleasant
than
that of New Bavaria's, being only slightly better than that of Mars, but
it
has allowed the Bavarian's to locate much of their heavy industry on the
planet.

	The Illuminati still plays some role in the affairs of Earth.
All
thirteen members of the current cabal are, officially at least, citizens
of
various Earthly nations, and between them these thirteen men and women
control about 6% of the planet's total wealth.	This is much reduced
from
the days of their former glory, but what remains is more than sufficient
for their needs.  New Bavaria still imports a great deal of equipment
and
material from Earth; but these imports have been shrinking as their
industrial installations have grown larger.

The New Bavarians regard the rest of the human "powers" with the same
sort of amused contempt that a man wearing infrared goggles might feel
when watching someone stumble their way through a darkened room full of
furniture and angry cats.  They regard the bulk of humanity as blind,
deluded fools, unworthy of any serious consideration.  Historically,
their science has been at least several decades more advanced than that
of the rest of the human race, but recent years have seen a severe
narrowing of this gap.	However, the Bavarian's mastery of Psychetronics

(and through this, the human mind) remains far beyond anything that
orthodox science currently considers possible.

	New Bavaria's overt contacts with their former subjects have
been few and
far
between, and only the Bavarians themselves know the truth of those
encounters.  In
March of 2171, two NAC ships were destroyed shortly after entering the
Weishaupt system.  The hulks of the ships were later found, gutted of
all usable systems, drifting through a system on the fringes of NAC
space..
 According to their
logs, neither ship had ever been anywhere near Weishaput.  No member of
either crew has ever been found.

	The Xeno war has brought changes to New Bavaria, despite the
wishes of
its masters.  Twice, Kra'vak ships have entered the system, and twice
the Bavarians have fought them off.  The cabal is starting to grow
concerned, though.  The Kra'vak are inhuman, unknown, and are thus far
more dangerous than humanity could ever be.  As for the Sa'vasku...the
Illuminati has had dealings with their kind before, and they are not to
be trusted.  Something is going to have to be done.  And soon.

Forces: The New Bavarian Stellar Navy is a study in contrasts.	The
majority of the ships are decommissioned (or "lost") ships that
previously belonged to one of a dozen different navies.  The ships have
been refitted with state of the art weapons and defensive systems, and
painted a uniform matte black.	The resulting ships would not be
entirely unfamiliar to any modern navy, with the possible exception of
the cloaking system that is installed as standard equipment on all
Bavarian ships.  The past few years have seen a change, however, as the
New Bavarian shipyards have finally become fully operational.  These new

ships, built and designed entirely by the Bavarians, are built for speed

and power.  Bavarian ships are armed almost entirely with standard beam
batteries, although the Bavarians tend to make more use of needle beams
than most navies do.  There are persistent rumors that the Bavarians
have mounted the famed (and feared) Mind Control Lasers on some of these

ships.	These rumors, thankfully, remain unconfirmed.
     (For miniatures, I have a flock of Silent Death and some
miscellaneous FT ships painted up as "Pirates"-those will do for now.
For the new ships, I would love something pyramidal in shape...but I
will probably use the NAC ships.  Deception is one of the Illuminati's
strengths, after all.)
     The Bavarian ground forces make extensive use of Grav vehicles.
Stealth takes priority over armor; the result is expensive, but they can

afford it.
     (Probably some of my copious Renegade Legion figures, with some
turret swaps here and there.  Along with, of course, some helicopters.
Infantry will be GW Space Marines in DSII scale, and Metal Magic
"Sardukyn" in SGII scale.  Black paint schemes will be the order of the
day.  Especially for the helicopters.)

John X Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com
  --Spider Robinson, The Callahan Touch.

Prev: RE: [FT] Kra'Vak Changes Next: Re: [OT] military clip art