Prev: Re: [MISC] Something of general interest Next: Re: Proposed Kra'Vak Ship Design Charts - Take 4

Re: [SG2] Heavy Weapons vs Dispersed Targets Question...

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 22:31:08 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG2] Heavy Weapons vs Dispersed Targets Question...

Allan spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> The rules are pretty clear as to how to handle a heavy weapon mounted
on a
> vehicle when it tries to attack a dispersed squad of infantry...
>
> ...however...
>
> ...what about the case where the weapon is a small calibre, fast
rate-of-fire
> weapon like, oh, a GAC/2? (See VRF Gauss Rifle post...)
>
> According to the rules as written, this should be treated as an Impact
D8
> weapon against dispersed targets. Technically, so should the GAC/1.
However,
> the GAC/1 is ESSENTIALLY the same as a Gauss SAW mounted on a vehicle.

<snippage>

> Does this make sense? Or should the GAC/2 stay as a heavy weapon and
let the
> GAC/1 be used for anti-infantry?

I was just addressing this point off list with Kenneth Winland
recently. It was spurred not just by the SPR clip, but by a Canadian
Forces film "Small Arms in the Anti-Aircraft Role" part of which
showed a PIVAD with a 20mm Vulcan traversing across infantry. I don't
think the deadliness of this 20mm cannon had much to do with
firecontrol - it had EVERYTHING to do with firepower. And I think the
GAC/1 would be another candidate.

Let's look at it the way the rules have it:

SAW			d10 FP	d8 IMP
Gauss SAW	d12FP  d12 IMP
RFAC/1		FC FP  d10* IMP  d8 IMP vs. Inf
GAC/1		FC FP  d12?* IMP d8 vs. Inf

Now, some suggested giving these vehicle weapons more FC. I shouldn't
need FC to fake the effects of FP. Even without any (just primitive
D4) FC, if I track a Vulcan across an area occupied by an infantry
squad, they are in trouble. It gets the name Buzzsaw for a reason!
The only limiter of this in RL is that 1) These systems attract
buzzbombs and IAVRs like a flowers attract bees and 2) ammo is a
factor - this anti-infantry fire consumes LOTS of ammo from the HW.

I think these weapons should be PA busters. I think they should
utterly murder infantry squads. I've heard descriptions of the damage
a human takes from a 20-30mm shell. Pretty much any hit is fatal.

So, how did I think to resolve it? I don't have my original notes,
but let's try.... (for GAC and RFAC)....vs. Infantry Targets
GAC/1		Roll D12 for FP instead of FC, Roll D12 for impact.
GAC/2		Roll D12 for FP instead of FC, Roll D12x2 for impact.
RFAC/1	    Roll D12 for FP instead of FC, Roll D10 for impact.
RFAC/2	       Roll D12 for FP instead of FC, Roll D10x2 for impact.

Just one idea of how to approach this. Yes... it means these weapons
are dangerous to infantry - but any hit from one of these should be
at least as dangeorus as a HAMR hit. And the volume of	fire from
these things is phenomenal - I capped FP at D12 under a "maximum
returns" idea.

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: [MISC] Something of general interest Next: Re: Proposed Kra'Vak Ship Design Charts - Take 4