Prev: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars) Next: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)

Re: GZGL DSII - Hostile Environment Suited Infantry

From: "Andrew & Alex" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 10:37:39 +1300
Subject: Re: GZGL DSII - Hostile Environment Suited Infantry

John M. Atkinson <john.m.atkinson@erols.com> wrote:
>YUCK!	I can't imagine storing one's weapons when riding into a combat
>zone.	Once you're out of the rear areas (which in a guerilla warfare
>situation, is always), I'd want my PA suited up and ready to fight.  In
>'down time', like tanks, you've always got some suits off and their
>wearers doing maintinence of some kind or refilling stores, but always
>with suited up troops pulling security.
    The example from the Star Grunt II rule book:
>>For example, Star Grunt II NSL? power armour teams which
>> ride in one vehicle with their PA in another vehicle.
    These rules allow PA troops in DSII to do the same. Sure, it may
seem
foolish to you, but that's what the NSL? do in the Star Grunt II rule
book.
I think Jon Tuffley may have been thinking of WWII German parachute
troops
which dropped on different parachutes from their MGs and heavy infantry
weapons.
    Also this allows guerilla actions or dawn assaults on rear areas to
be
simulated in DSII. It takes a little while for troops to get their PA or
HE
suits on.

>As for Hostile Environment
>suits, exactally what are you talking about?  A filter/respirator
>combination should be fairly standard equipment even for militia with
no
>other body armor, and Full Combat Armor (d8 in Stargrunt) should be
>manufactured so that's it's sealed up--the only thing you do in case of
>NBC attack would be seal the helmet down to the armor.
    Paul's example was:
>>>    For use on Mars and other not so terraformed planets/moons, they
are
>>>basically a sealed suit with a self contained environment and some
lightly
>>>armoured areas to minimise explosive decompression from small
splinters
>>>and fragments.
    HES contain their own atmosphere and pressure. So they can be used
in
low or no pressure environments.
    NBC capable armour, which I assume most troops in DSII are wearing
most
of the time, isn't capable of being used in low or no pressure areas -
except perhaps for Gurkhas in low pressure areas... When a NBC attack
occurs, the troops wearing NBC capable armour, just, as you say, seal
the
helmet to the armour, and probably close the face plate or don a
respirator/filter mask.

I hope this answers your problems.

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz