Prev: re: fuel chat Next: Re: [SG2] [Traveller] VRF Gauss Rifle Question...

[GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 12:41:27 -0500
Subject: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)

  Several people have mentioned "planet types" while discussing the
detail
level for the Official History of the Future(tm).  I thought I'd pitch
this
out and then expend all thrust on evasive maneuvering 8) :
  John Barnes, in the March 1990 Analog, has an article on "How to Build
Future".  Among other things, he postulates that there are just a few
type
of planets:

1.     Wet Mars (smaller and cooler than Earth, a scattering of
islands);
2.     Utah (big, dry, huge mountains, livable seacoasts);
3.     Cold Indonesia (cooler than Earth, with small continents and
large
islands, habitable in the tropics and lower temperate zones);
4.     Odd ones that don't fit a category.

Now, he got these from random number generation across a spreadsheet for
the "six randomizing factors that went into each planet" (and if anyone
knows what he's talking about, especially parameters and how to
determine
how many resource areas there are, e-mail me) so there's no reason that
we
have to stick with those types he came up with.  We might, however,
decide
on a few basic planet types that are habitable without terraforming.
Note
that I am not suggesting "a jungle planet"--any real habitable planet is
going to have a range of climates.  Nor am I trying to limit
creativity--if
you want a weird planet, design it.  I just don't feel that every single
planet has to be totally different from every other one; and I don't
want
to have to design from scratch every time just to have a feel for what
it's
like.
   (Compare: "You're entering a star system.  In the habitable zone
there
is a (roll one die) Large Indonesia type planet" versus "In the
habitable
zone there is...um, how about design a Kra'Vak flotilla for me while I
design the planet you're landing on?")
   There are only a few basic climates and a few basic terrain types so
it
shouldn't be hard to design five or so classes of world ("geotypes"?)
that
will guarantee every combination is readily available.

Prev: re: fuel chat Next: Re: [SG2] [Traveller] VRF Gauss Rifle Question...