Prev: [SG2] Heavy Weapons vs Dispersed Targets Question... Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Colony lists? (was:Re: Locations of Stars etc.)

[SG2] Found a GAC/1 vs. Gauss SAW Bug...

From: agoodall@i... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 01:05:36 GMT
Subject: [SG2] Found a GAC/1 vs. Gauss SAW Bug...

I noticed a strange discrepancy with regards to the GAC/1 and the Gauss
SAW.
The Gauss SAW rolls Quality die and Firepower die (D10) against a range
die.
The GAC/1 rolls a Quality die and a Firecon die (D6 to D10) against a
range
die. Because the GAC/1 is a class 1 weapon, it's range die is the same
as the
Gauss SAW. This means that if you mount a Gauss automatic weapon on a
vehicle,
it becomes LESS effective. This in spite of the fact that realistically
it
should be higher off the ground (thus gaining a range advantage) and
should be
more stable (it's mounted, versus sitting on the ground). This is an
artifact
of the SG2 system. Weapons fire with a Firecon die, not a Firecon die.
Essentially, a vehicle needs superior Firecon to fire a GAC/1 as good as
squad.

As far as I know, this is the only weapon (got to check, though) that is
used
as a SAW and a vehicle weapon with essentially no changes. That is, the
impact
is the same either way: D12 for the Gauss SAW, and D12 x 1 for the
GAC/1.

Not sure if this is a problem or not. I'd be tempted to allow a house
rule,
though, that a GAC/1 fires with a Firecon of D10 all the time when
mounted on
a vehicle. This makes it identical to the SAW. Otherwise the GAC/1
becomes
less effective on a vehicle...

Funny enough, though, the vehicle design rules allow a SAW to be mounted
on a
vehicle for 1 capacity point with 360 degree arc of fire (granted, on a
pintel
mount), while a GAC/1 mounted on a vehicle with a turret requires 3
capacity
points.

Another house rule could fix this: Gauss SAWs can not be mounted on
vehicles
(you HAVE to use the GAC/1...).

Comments?

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@interlog.com