Prev: Re: FTFB Turn Arcs Next: RE: [FT] Railgun/Fuel Chat Results

Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 12:57:23 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

Andrew spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> >Agreed. But I think you'll agree also that a railgun (by nature)
> >requires such a long thin barrell. And the pressure accelerating the
> >round is not an expanding fuel air mixture such as in a CPR (HV) gun,
> >but instead is either gravitic acceleration or electromagnetic
> >acceleration. I'm not sure the sabot has as much use.
>     Ah, but you misunderstand the nature of the sabot. It's designed
to be
> easy to drive along the barrel while holding the penetrator. That's so
the
> penetrator can be designed solely to penetrate the target. The sabot
divides
> the problem into two parts.

Sure, and I reiterate that this has a point for CPR guns like HVs. It
may or may not have a point for railguns. It may be that my
projectile can be as easily driven along if it is a small sharp
tungsten penetrator as if it was encased in a larger casing.

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: FTFB Turn Arcs Next: RE: [FT] Railgun/Fuel Chat Results