Prev: Re: FTFB idea's for Free Cal Tex + SML usage Next: Re: Last Post

RE: [SG2] EW & Artillery

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 14:20:00 -0800 (PST)
Subject: RE: [SG2] EW & Artillery

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Glover, Owen wrote:

> From: Brian Burger
> >We quickly discovered, however, that there are _no_ rules for EW
jamming
> >of fire-support calls. Calling fire support uses a different game
> >mechanism from regular communication rolls, such as those used by
command
> >squads attempting to pass activations to squads.
>
> This SEEMS pretty straight forward to me at least. The attempt to call
for
> support is described on page 44 as a Communication "requires an action
to be
> spent on communicating the request...". So I'd be just rolling the EW
die vs
> the request for arty die. If the EW die is higher than teh support
request
> then the support call doesn't get through.

the only problem here is that calling fire uses smaller die, usually,
than
regular communication rolls. Calling fire uses a d8 as standard, or a d6
if you're skipping a level of command (eg squad leader calling for
company-level mortars. A plt leader calling for the same mortars would
get
the d8.)

An EW unit, on the other hand, rolls based on systems quality (d6/8/10
for
BAS/ENH/SUP) and can often spare a chit (especially in small games)to
give
a boost to the die rolled. A SUP EW committing two chits to a jamming
attempt rolls a d12 - vs at most a d8, usually. Artillery callers can
commit 'Support Request' chits for a similar boost, but once you use an
SR
chit, it's gone for the game, whereas the EW system gets three EW chits
every turn....

OTOH, artillery calls represent more that just the radio call - they
represent that, giving the battery accurate co-ordinates, and getting
the
battery to devote it's attention to those co-ordinates. If the EW sys
garbles even part of that communication, then the fire isn't coming
down.
"sir, the fire co-ordinates 2 Plt just passed on are for a spot in the
middle of the lake!""Jamming again, wait until you get clear
co-ordinates...or that fool Lt can't read his PCC's map worth a damn..."

(PCC - Personal Combat Computer - coming sooner than you think to a US
Army near you...)

So I find myself arguing both sides of the EW-vs-fire support issue...it
should be jammable, however.

And to answer another posts question, yes reactivation/ transferring
actions is jammable. It's just a straight comms roll, from leader squad
subordinate squad(s).

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)
-- http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9774/ --DS2/SG2/games
webpages--

Prev: Re: FTFB idea's for Free Cal Tex + SML usage Next: Re: Last Post