Prev: Re: [GZG-L] Next: Re: Getting DU out of your Railgun (drifting OT was Re: [FT] Railgun Goals)

Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

From: "Andrew & Alex" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 10:14:03 +1300
Subject: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

>***Discarding Sabot allows the use of a short, large diameter
barrel...***

>Well, the discarding part is probably 'useless', as the idea is to make
>large diameter shot-in-the-barrel a small diameter projectile-in-air to
>reduce drag.
    Nope.

>No drag in space. And, the discarded sabot is discarded mass,
>probably off target. On the other hand, you might want the projectile
of
>small diameter to punch through the exterior of the ship.
>
>EM railguns always assume ferrous rings for the induced magnetic
charge,
>but I'm not familiar with the electrical properties of uranium. Would
>depleted uranium (a metal) be similar to iron as far as magnetism?
Would
>there BE depleted uranium in a fusion powered world? ;->= Aren't some
of
>the rare earths near uranium in density, and near iron vis-a-vis
magnetism?

    A discarding sabot made of the appropriate materials allows the most
efficient "push" to the projectile, regardless of what the projectile is
made of. Which is why they are used. A short, large diameter barrel is
easier to manufacture and aim than a long, thin barrel.

Andrew Martin
-------------
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/
Dirtside II Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
Dirtside II FAQ: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/
GZG E-Mail FAQ:
 http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/Ettiquette.html
FUDGE GM Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/
Usagi Yoyimbo Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/UY/

Prev: Re: [GZG-L] Next: Re: Getting DU out of your Railgun (drifting OT was Re: [FT] Railgun Goals)