Prev: [URL] [FT] FAQ updated Next: Re: Last Post

Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

From: "Andrew & Alex" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 21:50:14 +1300
Subject: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

Jeff Lyon <jefflyon@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>A penetrator rod is not a BB.	The rod gives the best of both worlds;
is
>has higher mass than a sphere of the same diameter and a lower diameter
>than a sphere of the same mass.
>
>>or: APFSDSDU	(I think I got the letters in the right order.)
    Armour Piercing, Fin Stabilised, Discarding Sabot, Depleted Uranium.

>Of which 2 to 4 are of questionable utility in a vacuum.
    Sorry, only Fin Stabilised is of no use in space.
Armour Piercing allows penetration of target armour.
Discarding Sabot allows the use of a short, large diameter barrel to
propel
target - even if using a electro-magnetic rail gun.
Depeleted Uranium allows higher projectile density - more damage done to
target.

Andrew Martin
DSII fan.
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/
Dirtside II Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
Dirtside II FAQ: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/
GZG E-Mail FAQ:
 http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/Ettiquette.html
FUDGE GM Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/
Usagi Yoyimbo Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/UY/

Prev: [URL] [FT] FAQ updated Next: Re: Last Post