Prev: Re: [FT] Torp vs. Reroll Carnage Match (was: My Kingdom for a GM!) Next: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

Re: [GZG-L]

From: db-ft@w... (David Brewer)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 20:43:44 GMT
Subject: Re: [GZG-L]

In message <199811250146.RAA01148@mail.nwlink.com> trapper writes:
> Aloha,

Wot ho.

>    Now that the new list is up and running, how does everyone feel
about the
> listserver automatically adding a [GZG-L] or [GZG] tag at the
beginning of
> every subject line (see my subject line)?  It makes sorting easier to
do
> both electronically and visually, and most other listservs I'm on do
it that
> way.	This subject was brought up on the old Bolton list (R.I.P.) and
a lot
> of people seemed to like the idea, but Jon White said that the
mxbolton mail
> server didn't have that capability.  Now we're on Majordomo, though,
which
> does support the automatic tagging.  New list admin Matthew Seidl said
it
> would be easy to implement, but we're both hoping for some input from
the
> other list members before making the change.
>    And so with that I'd like to open it up to the floor for debate. :)

Personally, I am entirely ambivalent.

However, a similar question that I'd add is:

Should there be a .sig-file-type addition to the bottom of each
message giving unsub details? I've seen this on many other
(majordomo-run) lists, and it seems to stop people sending their
unsubs to the list address, an action for which we have seen many
sterling examples of as we switched lists. This not only reduces
the (entirely trivial degree of) irritation to the list members,
but would reduce the workload of the list administrator who has to
sort out all that tiresome nonsense.

Another point I'd like to make is that the list of subscribers
that you can from majordomo seems to be entriely unprotected.
I tend to create a new address for each mailing-list that I'm on,
so when one of these addresses gets junk e-mail I can tell for a
fact that the list-server has been raided by some spam bastard
out for new live addresses. D'oh, I hate it when that happens.

Can these be done Matthew? Are there other groovy options that we
can debate the need for?

--
David Brewer

Prev: Re: [FT] Torp vs. Reroll Carnage Match (was: My Kingdom for a GM!) Next: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals