Prev: Re: My Kingdom for a GM! Next: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 14:18:21 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

Thomas spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Sean Bayan Schoonmaker wrote:
> > Perhaps before we get too far along any one trail for our K'V
weapons
> > discussion, we should establish some general goals.
>
> very sensible. a pre-argument argument!
>
> > 1) The "To-Hit" mechanic should reflect a projectile flavor. In my
eyes,
> > that means performance should be relatively constant out to a given
range
> > and then drop off quickly.
>
> this may play well, but as physics it is pretty groundless.
>
> WARNING: what follows is fairly simple algebra etc, but it is
> probably badly-though out and deeply incorrect. it also makes lots of
> unjustifiable assumptions which are never clearly defined.
> the hit probability should fall off with the fourth power of range.

I'm skeptical about some of the math on the way here. But it seems to
be on the order of magnitude I'd expect.

In truth, if your target envelope is a sphere, and your railgun burst
through it has a spherical cross section (an approximation of sorts),
is seems likely the burst will	generate a truncated-tip conical path
volume through the volume of space we call the target envelope. The
ratio of the volume of this conical path to the total size of the
target envelope volume may be something that defines the hit-miss
result. It isn't that obvious though, because it isn't strictly a
relation of these two volumes. But your intial work seems to assume
no spread.

Even beams gravitically focused will have spread. In the
FFS (Traveller) construction system, gravitic focus was postulated
for beams as a requirement as no mechanical focus was of sufficient
accuracy. So the spread of the pattern may have something to do with
changing the area of the shot pattern. And that is an *unplanned*
variance - let's call that modified choke. You may be able to control
the choke of your shot pattern to make it very wide at close range,
for PDS and for good hit probs.

Gaming Note: Interesting trade would be a mechanic that lets you
palsy the damage in exchange for better hit probs.

> > 4) Mass should be relatively low, and point cost should be
relatively high.

> i don't see why massdrivers should be smaller than beam batteries; if
> anything, i would say they are larger but cheaper.

Depends on relative energy requirements. Which I can't begin to
caculate...

> excellent methodology. maybe we should submit the list for ISO 9000
> process quality certification?

I'm in the middle of a 9001 Audit. You don't want that - you'll never
rest comfortably again....

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: My Kingdom for a GM! Next: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals