Prev: Re: Last Post Next: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

From: John and Roxanne Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 09:54:38 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

Michael Brown wrote:
...Snip...JTL
> Subject:	  [FT] Railgun Goals
...Snip...JTL
> 1) The "To-Hit" mechanic should reflect a projectile flavor. In my
eyes,
> that means performance should be relatively constant out to a given
range
> and then drop off quickly.
>
> Not necessarily so, projectiles drop off due to Gravity and other
effects, not
> present in space.  Range should only be limited by fire control.
XXX
     Disagree here, the range is limited by to ability of the
target to detect and correctly plot the locations of the projectile.
Also by the ability of the target to alter its direction after
the projectile course has been determined. (Reaction time)  JTL
XXX
> 2) Damage should be constant, without regard to range.
XXX
   True, if dealing with a garbage can, not true if shotgun. JTL
XX
> 3) Firing arcs should be very limited to preserve the K'V "feel."
XXX
    Agree.  JTL
XXX
> 4) Mass should be relatively low, and point cost should be relatively
high.
XXX
    Depends on the overall concept.  JTL
XXX
> Please refute these if you don't agree; they're just a starting point.
Once
> we agree on some goals, then we can get down to the nitty-gritty of
the
> specific mechanics to achieve them.
>
> Schoon

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: Last Post Next: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals