Prev: Re: Last Post Next: Re: Last Post

Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

From: "Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist..." <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:13:02 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

[raises hand from somewhere in the back of the room]

Question: how is gravity going to affect high-speed projectiles, in the
time/distance scales we are discussing? If you are near (near!!!) a
high-
gravity mass (Jupiter and larger), your onboard combat computers ought
be able to easily compensate for *that*, at least. I see range drop-off
accuracy as the inability to accurately predict where your opponent will
be when you fire at their ship(s).

Indy
---
If the conquest of a great peak brings moments of exultation and bliss,
which in the monotonous, materialistic existence of modern times nothing
else can approach, it also presents great dangers.  It is not the goal
of
*grand alpinisme* to face peril, but it is one of the tests one must
undergo to deserve the joy of rising for an instant above the state of
crawling grubs.
				       -Lionel Terray, 1965

Prev: Re: Last Post Next: Re: Last Post