Prev: Re: [FT] Railguns Next: Re: Last Post

RE: [FT] Railgun Goals

From: Michael Brown <mkkabrow@w...>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 09:01:00 -0800
Subject: RE: [FT] Railgun Goals

Quick comment:

-----Original Message-----
From:	Sean Bayan Schoonmaker [SMTP:schoon@aimnet.com]
Sent:	Wednesday, November 25, 1998 8:18 AM
To:	gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Subject:	[FT] Railgun Goals

Perhaps before we get too far along any one trail for our K'V weapons
discussion, we should establish some general goals. These are the one
that
I think are important:

1) The "To-Hit" mechanic should reflect a projectile flavor. In my eyes,
that means performance should be relatively constant out to a given
range
and then drop off quickly.

Not necessarily so, projectiles drop off due to Gravity and other
effects, not
present in space.  Range should only be limited by fire control.

2) Damage should be constant, without regard to range.

3) Firing arcs should be very limited to preserve the K'V "feel."

4) Mass should be relatively low, and point cost should be relatively
high.

Please refute these if you don't agree; they're just a starting point.
Once
we agree on some goals, then we can get down to the nitty-gritty of the
specific mechanics to achieve them.

Schoon

Prev: Re: [FT] Railguns Next: Re: Last Post