Prev: Re: Status report on: Re: hey, is anybody out there.... Next: [FT] Railguns

RE: DS2 Resins to FT or FTFB Mass

From: "George,Eugene M" <Eugene.M.George@k...>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:36:54 -0800
Subject: RE: DS2 Resins to FT or FTFB Mass

Ack! Now I'm confused again.

DWT is the whole shebang, or equal to FT's Mass. This I get from the "a
vessels cargo capacity is less than it's total deadweight tonnage..."
bit
from the definition. DWT is the maximum displacement of the vessel under
FULL LOAD, hence the total filled tonnage.

DWT = Structure + Max Cargo

Gross Tonnage is cargo volume and hull/systems, similar to Mass in FTFB
and
FT2 but more for the purposes of registration/ cargo costing. I don't
know
if this is identical to DWT but it sounds like it.

GT = Structure + Cargo Volume

Gross Registered Tonnage is the Cargo Space ONLY. Identical to Net
Tonnage.

GRT = Cargo Volume

Net Tonnage would be the FT equivalent of the 50% for weapons, cargo and
systems. It corresponds to the FTFB equivalent of everything but drives,
weapons and systems. A pure expression of the cargo capacity of the
ship.

NT = Cargo Volume

Deadweight (gross tonnage?) is the theoretical maximum displacement of
the
vessel (Mass 200 bulk carrier)

Net Tonnage/ Gross Registered Tonnage for said Mass 200 Bulk Carrier = 4
holds of 149 Mass total.

So the Shimano Maru a 200,000 ton ore carrier, will depart from New
Albion
on the 21st of December, carrying 20 crew and 149,000 tons of
diatomaceous
earth from the toothpaste mines. (on the DS2 table top it would be about
14
inches long by 3 wide by 2 and a quarter tall.... :) )

Sound good (whether or not it's right in the real world)?

The