Prev: RE: DS2 Resins to FT or FTFB Mass Next: RE: DS2 Resins to FT or FTFB Mass

RE: DS2 Resins to FT or FTFB Mass

From: "George,Eugene M" <Eugene.M.George@k...>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 10:22:01 -0800
Subject: RE: DS2 Resins to FT or FTFB Mass

http://www.sea-man.com/terms.html for definitions of naval terms...

Deadweight Tonnage:

DEADWEIGHT/DWAT/DWCC- A common measure of ship carrying capacity. The
number
of tons (2240 lbs.) of cargo, stores and bunkers that a
vessel can transport. It is the difference between the number of tons of
water a vessel displaces "light" and the number of tons it displaces
"when
submerged to the 'deep load line'." A vessel's cargo capacity is less
than
its total deadweight tonnage. The difference in weight between a vessel
when it is fully loaded and when it is empty (in general transportation
terms, the net) measured by the water it displaces. This is the most
common,
and useful, measurement for shipping as it measures cargo capacity.