Prev: Re: Last Post Next: RE: DS2 Resins to FT or FTFB Mass

RE: DS2 Resins to FT or FTFB Mass

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 18:09:21 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: RE: DS2 Resins to FT or FTFB Mass

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Jeff Lyon wrote:
> At 01:10 PM 11/24/98 +0000, you wrote:
> >...the largest tanker, the jahre viking, is 575,000 tonnes...
>
> I've seen that figure quoted a couple of times now.

by me both times i think; it really does strike me as funny that anyone
could possibly imagine building something so big in the first place. i
sort of imagine these norwegian shipping execs sitting down and saying
"you know, what we really need is a *really* big tanker to scare the
swedes ...".

>  Is that fully loaded
> or empty?

a brief look at the web says 564 763 deadweight tons. deadweight means
fully loaded. 69 metres wide, 458 metres long (77 m longer than the
empire
state buliding is high). for the authoritative answer, someone should
consult Lloyd's Register of Shipping; i happen to have left mine at home
:-).

http://www.intertanko.com/tanker_facts/biggest.htm

Tom

Prev: Re: Last Post Next: RE: DS2 Resins to FT or FTFB Mass