Prev: Status report on: Re: hey, is anybody out there.... Next: Nothing sensible to say..

RE: DS2 Resins to FT or FTFB Mass

From: "George,Eugene M" <Eugene.M.George@k...>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 09:33:49 -0800
Subject: RE: DS2 Resins to FT or FTFB Mass

> i suppose; nimitz-type carriers are roughly 90 000 tonnes, so 90 mass,
> just within ft2 limits, and the largest tanker, the jahre viking, is
575
> 000 tonnes, of mass 575. mind you, that is a pretty exceptional ship -
> there are probably one or two mass 600 frighters plying the void,
owned by
> a state-owned line (ESU, FSE), state-supported lines (NSL) or
supported
> via huge tax breaks (NAC). as well as prestige value, they would be
useful
> for colonisation - you could fit a whole colonisation mission into one
> ship.

So 1 Mass in FT2 is the equivalent of around 2 Mass in the FTFB. Making
the
"Space Nimitz" 180 Ms (and 180,000 dwt) double the size of it's ocean
going
counterpart seems right to me for stores/ life support etc. Egad, the
"Space
Jahre Viking" is Ms 1150... You're right, there probably ain't very many
of
those beasties flying around.

The fun bit is, I measured all of the resins and if the Ms 120 Assault
Lander is 8"x2"x1.75" or 28 cubic inches of resin, then the "Space Jahre
Viking" on the DS2 scale would top 250 cubic inches of resin (assuming
it's
solid)!! Measure about, say, six feet by 2 feet by a foot. Yikes!

Prev: Status report on: Re: hey, is anybody out there.... Next: Nothing sensible to say..